After escapee surrenders, investigators think 2 fugitive inmates could be in San Jose or Fresno
Orange County Sheriff’s Department
Bac Duong is shown in a photo provided by OCSD on Jan. 27, 2016.

By Tracy Bloom, Chip Yost and Melissa Pamer, KTLA

SANTA ANA, Calif. -- (KTLA) -- One of the three inmates who had escaped from the Orange County Men’s Central Jail was taken into custody after turning himself in on Friday, and the search for the two other missing men turned to Northern and Central California.

Bac Duong, 43, was back in custody one week after he and two other inmates, 37-year-old Hossein Nayeri and 20-year-old Jonathan Tieu, broke out of the facility, Santa Ana Police Department Cpl. Anthony Bertagna first confirmed to KTLA.

Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens said at a news conference shortly after 12 p.m. that Duong contacted a civilian in Santa Ana and told the person he wanted to turn himself in.

Sheriff’s Department Lt. Jeff Hallock said at an early evening news conference said that investigators believe the remaining two escaped inmates were in the San Jose area. As recently as Thursday morning or afternoon they were there, and may be headed for the Fresno area, he said.

Meanwhile, details emerged quickly about Duong’s surrender. He was cooperating with investigators, Hallock said.

Duong walked into Auto Electric Rebuilders, a business in the 1400 block of North Harbor Boulevard in Santa Ana, and spoke to the store's co-owner, whom he knows.

"He just showed up, and he told my wife that he want to turn in," said Tri Nguyen, an acquaintance of Duong.

Nguyen's wife called police. The store's other co-owner, Lee Tran, told reporters that Duong was "scared for his life, pretty much."

Prior to his escape, Duong had been held at the Men's Central Jail in Santa Ana in connection with a Nov. 18, 2015, incident, in which he is accused of shooting someone during an argument, according to the Orange County District Attorney's Office.

He had a number of charges against him, including felony counts of attempted murder, assault with a firearm, first degree residential burglary and shooting at an inhabiting dwelling or house, a news release from the DA's office said.

Duong also faced sentencing enhancements for prior convictions, including first degree burglary in 1995, second degree burglary in 2007, reckless evading of a peace officer in 2008 and possession for a sale of controlled substance in 2011.

He had been in jail for the latest charge since December 2015, and was ineligible for bail due to an immigration hold, Hutchens said.

Duong, along with Nayeri and Tieu, had been charged on Monday with one felony count of escape from pending felony charges, the DA's office said.

The escapees were believed to be driving a 2008 white GMC Savana utility van that was reported stolen from South Los Angeles on Jan. 23, the day after the elaborate escape.

Duong stole the van from a private party, sheriff's officials said.

The trio used tools to cut through steel bars, made their way through plumbing tunnels, and used a rope to rappel down the side of the building from the jail's roof.

Officials were still on the lookout for the other two men, as well as the white van.

oc-escaped-inmates-ktla-cwd
Orange County's Sheriff's Department
Left to right: Jonathan Tieu, Hossein Nayeri, Bac Duong
Anyone with information is urged to call the Sheriff’s Department at (714) 647-7000. Anonymous tips can also be left calling O.C. Crime Stoppers at (855) 847-6227.

FULL STORY: After Escapee Surrenders, Investigators Think 2 Missing Inmates Could Be in San Jose or Fresno - KTLA

Comments