UPDATE May 8, 2017: Aaron Juan Saucedo, 23, faces 26 felony counts of homicide, aggravated assault and drive-by shooting for 12 shootings that took place between August 2015 and July 2016, Phoenix Police Chief Jeri Williams said Monday.
Saucedo was already in custody for the 2015 murder of Raul Romero, 61.
Phoenix Police Chief Jeri Williams said in a Monday afternoon news conference the investigation was conducted in cooperation with the Phoenix Police Department, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office, the FBI and the ATF.
Nine people died as a result of the shootings that occurred between August 2015 and July 2016, KNXV ABC 15 reports.
Saucedo was being held on first-degree murder charges in Romero's death when police announced charges in the serial street shootings case.
PHOENIX -- (CWD) -- A man arrested last week for the murder of a Phoenix man is being investigated in connection to unsolved freeway shootings and a serial-killer shooting case, sources tell Crime Watch Daily.
Aaron Juan Saucedo, 23, was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of the 2015 murder of Raul Romero, 61, a man who is described as Saucedo's mother's boyfriend, according to sources.
Law enforcement and legal sources close to the case confirm to Crime Watch Daily that Phoenix Police are investigating Saucedo in connection to the unsolved freeway serial shootings, as well as a string of seven murders committed by a suspect dubbed the "Serial Street Shooter." There were 11 freeway shooting incidents; those shootings resulted in injuries. The street shootings resulted in seven deaths.
During the Raul Romero investigation, police swept pawn shops in Phoenix looking for a 9mm handgun used in his murder. They located a Hi-Point 9mm pistol, which was sold to a pawn shop 16 days after the shooting, ABC15 KNXV-TV reports.
During the course of the investigation, authorities began to connect Aaron Saucedo to the freeway shootings around Phoenix and the serial street shootings in the Maryvale area. Police are now searching for a separate gun that they believe was used in those seven murders.
Saucedo was held on $750,000 cash bail in the Romero case. He was not named a suspect in the other investigations.
The street shootings happened between March and July 2016 and resulted in seven deaths and two injuries, KNXV reports.
Phoenix Police say they are still seeking tips from the public.
The first shooting was reported on March 17, 2016 after a driver in a Nissan drove past two teenagers and shot a 16-year-old boy in the arm, abdomen and hip. The teen survived the shooting.
The most recent incident happened on July 11, 2016. According to authorities, a 21-year-old man and his 4-year-old nephew were shot at while sitting in a vehicle. The suspect was driving an early 1990s black BMW sedan. Neither of the victims was injured.
Residents who live in Saucedo's Phoenix neighborhood told ABC15 the 23-year-old drives an older-model black BMW -- potentially matching the description of the suspect vehicle -- which was towed from Saucedo's home last week.
Sept. 23, 2016: