Latest on Florida school shooting: Accused shooter refused help
WKMG
Nikolas Cruz

By AP Author, WKMG

PARKLAND, Fla. -- (WKMG) -- Here's the latest on the aftermath of the mass shooting at a high school in Parkland.

10:15 a.m.

Florida House Republicans are rejecting Democratic-filed amendments to a school safety bill that would ban assault weapons, strip language that would allow some teachers to carry guns in schools and require a mental health examination before someone could purchase a gun.

The House appropriations committee was considering a bill Tuesday that would raise the minimum age to buy rifles from 18 to 21 and creates a three-day waiting period for all gun purchases. The bill would also create a program that allows teachers who receive law enforcement training and are deputized by the local sheriff's office to carry concealed weapons in the classroom if also approved by the school district.

Unlike Monday, when hundreds of sometimes rowdy protesters jammed a Senate meeting to consider a similar bill, Tuesday's proceedings were more orderly. But still, several speakers spoke in favor of the assault weapons ban.

The amendment to ban assault weapons was rejected on an 18-11 vote.

The Senate Appropriations Committee is scheduled to take up a similar bill later Tuesday.

10:15 a.m.

A 13-year-old Florida boy is accused of threatening to bring his gun to school and shoot everyone at his middle school.

Volusia County Sheriff's spokesman Andrew Gant tells news outlets the Galaxy Middle School student was angry at his teacher when he made the threat Monday.

The Daytona Beach News-Journal reports it was the eighth arrest of a Volusia County student for making violent threats since the mass shooting that killed 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in South Florida on Feb. 14.

In Monday's incident, Gant says a school resource officer responded when the student stood up and said, "I'm going to bring out my Glock and shoot everyone."

The student told the deputy he was joking and doesn't have access to weapons.

9:35 a.m.

Prosecutors and defense lawyers for Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz have reached an agreement on DNA and other samples he'll provide.

The Broward State Attorney's office says a court hearing on the matter scheduled for Tuesday was canceled because of the agreement.

In addition to DNA, prosecutors will get a hair sample from Cruz, as well as fingerprints and photographs.

The 19-year-old Cruz is charged with 17 counts of murder in the Valentine's Day shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. Police say Cruz confessed to the crime.

Cruz wasn't expected to appear at the hearing.

9:20 a.m.

A judge has refused to step aside from the case of Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz as requested by his lawyers.

Court records show that Broward County Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer denied the request Monday.

Cruz's lawyers claimed Scherer has made rulings and comments that indicate favoritism for prosecutors. They say in court papers that Cruz can't get a fair trial, but Scherer disagreed.

Cruz's lawyers' concerns revolve around a debate last week on whether to keep a defense confidential motion secret. Cruz, who's 19, is charged with 17 counts of murder in the Valentine's Day shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

8:30 a.m.

FedEx says it's sticking with the NRA and has not asked to be removed from the organization's website where members are offered corporate discounts.

The Memphis, Tennessee, delivery company says it differs with the NRA and believes weapons like the AR-15 assault-style rifle that was used to kill 17 people in Florida shouldn't be owned by civilians.

But, it maintains that it is a common carrier, and will not deny service based on political views or policy positions.

More than a dozen major U.S. companies have ended business partnerships with the National Rifle Association as public pressure builds following the Parkland, Florida massacre. They include Metlife, Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, Best Western, and Wyndham, Delta, and United Airlines, among others.

7:55 a.m.

The suspect in the mass shooting at a Florida high school refused to let the district continue providing him with mental health services after he turned 18 and the superintendent of schools says federal law kept them from doing anything about it.

Broward Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie tells the Sun Sentinel "You can't make someone do something when the law says they have the right to make that determination."

Nikolas Cruz, now 19, is accused killing 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Valentine's Day.

Runcie says Cruz had attended a school with programs for emotionally and disabled students, and returned to Douglas in August 2016. By November, he says the "situation had deteriorated." With the support of his mother, Cruz refused special needs services and remained at the school until February 2017.

FULL STORY: Latest on Florida school shooting: Accused shooter refused help - WKMG

Comments